Laurel recounts the craziest race her husband, Mike, ever participated in: A pack burro race up Mosquito Pass and back during a Leadville Boom Days weekend. He raced with a rent-an-ass from Curtis Imrie (RIP) and met the legendary Ken Chlouber for the first time as well. This is a crazy-ass story with some poignant moments.
Show Notes with Links:
- Link to my piece with some great photos: Everybody Loves A Donkey Tale Colorado Central Magazine, January 2006
- Western Pack Burro Ass-ociation
- Trail Runner Magazine article on Curtis Imrie
- My interview with Ken Chlouber
- Born to Run author Christopher McDougall also ran this race
- See the Colorado Central piece for photos!
If you enjoy my podcasts, you might enjoy my books!
- Laurel’s Amazon Author page
- Intro/outro voice by Nick McHargue,
Podcast music from Jamendo Royalty Free Music
If you enjoyed this episode and others, please subscribe to Alligator Preserves on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts, and tell your friends about it! I’d love it if you “liked” the episodes you listen to, and I’d love it even more if you’d post a quick comment!
Please support Alligator Preserves on Patreon. You will be rewarded!
One reply on “Alligator Preserves Episode 37: Everybody Loves A Donkey Tale!”
[…] Community involvement, Leadville’s Boom Days Pack Burro Race, my piece Everybody Loves a Donkey Tale […]