In this week’s episode, Laurel McHargue introduces listeners to another character in her life: her dog, Ranger.
Inspired by a man in her writing group who one day told everyone “Don’t get a boat,” Laurel knew she had to write a piece called “Don’t Get a Dog.” She reads excerpts from the piece as she muses about the pets in her life, and shares a confession at the end.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
- Story inspiration at writing group meeting
- Raised by “No pets!” parents, she nevertheless got some free ones along the way
- After reading 8 books on dog training, found the best one for her new German Shepherd puppy: “The Art of Raising a Puppy“
- Blog post “Don’t Get A Dog“
- Brainstorm about pets and pet owners
- Storytelling tip: Focus on one character at a time
- Introduce next topic: Words of Warning Signs
The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete
Don’t Get a Dog ironic essay and photos
Rudyard Kipling’s poem The Power of the Dog
Colorado Independent Publishers Association (CIPA)
Intro/outro voice by Nick McHargue,
Podcast music from Jamendo Royalty Free Music