What will you be doing when you’re 85 years old?
In this episode, Laurel visits with her friend’s 85-year-old father–Bill Olson–and tries to determine why he still works every . . . single . . . day.
This is Laurel’s first attempt at curating a story from a last-minute decision to record an unplanned visit. She doesn’t plan to leave her home without her Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder with Interchangeable Microphone System with Deluxe Accessory Bundle ever!
Laurel visits with 85-year-old Bill Olson and tries to determine what makes this Minnesota-raised man “tick”
- Bill’s work on a farm arranged through the Vo-Ag program at his high school
- crops and animals and processing
- How he was treated in the family of seven and working with more than just animals and crops
- Slaughtering pigs and eating fresh liver
- Bill’s father built their home in 1919
- Bill’s mother was one of 6 girls. They made a marriage pact
- Bill shares a scary memory of murder in Minnesota
- Early work experience
- High School, College, and the Korean War
- The only love of his life, and marriage
- Kristi returns!
- Next episode:
- The Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder with Interchangeable Microphone System with Deluxe Accessory Bundle (very happy with my results using just the xy microphone attachment!)
- Prince William County Keeps Track of Fading Memories (September 7, 2016. Bill is a dedicated protector of old cemeteries, identifying and restoring markers and resetting stones, often using his own funds
- Washington Post article about Bill being the go-to grave guy (August 29, 2014)
- Article about why Bill quit the historical commission over digging up grave sites to build a fire station
- CIPA EVVY Awards info
- Volunteer to judge this year’s EVVY Awards submissions
- Laurel’s Amazon Author page
- Intro/outro voice by Nick McHargue,
Podcast music from Jamendo Royalty Free Music
Submit your books to the prestigious 2018 CIPA EVVY Awards. The website for more information is at cipabooks.com. You have until May 19th, so don’t miss out, and GOOD LUCK!
If you enjoyed today’s episode and others, please subscribe to Alligator Preserves on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts, and tell your friends about it! Please also consider supporting Alligator Preserves on Patreon. You will be rewarded!
2 replies on “Alligator Preserves Episode 16: What Makes a Man?”
Great curated story about a great man by a great woman!! Enjoyed listening!
Thank you! Hope you can tell how much I enjoyed the visit!